Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Taking Inventory

I’m fond of assessing my progress, accomplishments or life changes by reflecting on a period of time (I recommend this for everyone!). For the purpose of this post, I’m reflecting on what has changed for the better in the past year. It was one year ago this week that I decided to start running again. It may ring a bell as I remind you that I’d stumbled on an article about Dr. John Sarno’s belief in the mind-body connection, that inspired me to forget the advice of my neurosurgeon to never run again. I started with the Couch to 5k program – a run/walk regimen that gives you the training necessary to run 3.1 miles. It was hard & grueling, but jump-started my determination to be a runner, and lead to the development of my grand plans for my 2010 running comeback. Since I resumed running one year ago, I have completed eight races (I have 5 more to go), two of them half marathons, and have improved my performance in each successive race. I’ve shaved 2 minutes off of my pace and built a stronger cardio base then I’ve ever had before. I have not incurred an injury, nor has my spine fallen apart! I’ve lost 7 pounds and a pants size, but most importantly, I’ve gained a deep mental satisfaction in knowing that I can achieve whatever I put my mind to. I have run through the blue skies and colored leaves of fall, the cold winds of winter, the penetrating rains of spring and the oppressive heat of summer. Running success has broken down barriers (i.e. my fear of pushing too hard and hurting my back) and opened up new possibilities (i.e. maybe I can run further than 13.1 miles? If I can master my mind in a difficult physical feat, what else can I handle?)

As I delved into running a year ago, I was feeling somewhat bored and unchallenged in my job, so I began to think about returning to school to become a personal trainer. Instead, I told my boss how I felt, and asked to create a personal training exercise group for clients. My boss responded well, involving me in new & challenging programs and approving my twice-weekly exercise group. These changes have kept me happy, interested and growing at work. My exercise group has been a huge hit, and I am constantly amazed at how people rise to meet expectations. This is no sit and be fit group – I expect the clients to do the same exercises I do, and to push themselves out of their comfort zones, and they do! Increased self-confidence , weight loss, strength and stamina have helped client’s with their mental health recovery.

Lastly, I note that I’ve gained new friends that enrich my life. Several of my new friends are old friends from middle school and high school who I reconnected with on Facebook, some are running or gym friends , and some are co-worker’s who have become lifelines to laugh & complain with over shared work experiences.

So get thinking about your own lives … what has transpired in the past year for you? How are you different?

2 comments:

  1. Love this blog post...it will be interesting for me to review my last year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. well nothing so grand has happened in my life. my R knee is substantially worse and I've satisfied all the criteria for replacement so I'll have that done on Nov. 22nd.
    Work wise, I'm now a bit over two years at PP and know the job well and really enjoy it. I see women from 14 to 43 or maybe a bit more (have had one 13 yr.old and one 45 yr.old in past year)iT'S JUST GREAT being able to meet the women's need for safe complete pg termination . And of course SA is always good as well--- the variety of responses people have to assault is amazing.
    I've also gotten a year older and almost at the end of a decade again; so will work on reinventing myself once more.
    Am currently takin courses for cert.in trauma counseling.
    I'm very happy at work and at home and have four really good friends and a great family. What more could I ask!!!!

    ReplyDelete