A blog post about feet - just what you've been waiting for, right?! But seriously, there are updates to be shared.
TATTOO: My new tattoo is beginning to heal (it hasn't vanished!) with diminishing pain as the initial swelling subsides. I'm getting lotsa love for this latest ink.
BAREFOOT RUNNING: I was a bit nervous about running exclusively barefoot in my Sprint VFF's (they look like Mary Jane's and do not cover my paw prints) for the next two weeks - wondering if I would strain muscles or joints in new ways since I'm not accustomed to 20+ miles per week without shoes. Until now the longest distance I'd run in my VFF's at one time was 4 miles, with a grand weekly total of 7 miles in the VFF's. In the past three days I've run 14 miles, including a 7-mile run this morning, in my least desirable VFF's, and aside from some blisters (this is why these VFF"s aren't as good for running as my true running Bikila VFF's), I am feeling better than ever. For the past month my right knee has had a mild patellar tendonitis, and my left hip has been tight. Three days of barefoot running, and both conditions have greatly improved.
RUNNING PROGRESS: I started my second running life on July 23rd, 2009 -about 8 months after my herniation. My journal entry for that first run is something to behold. I ran a total distance of a 1/2 mile - running a 1/4 mile, walking 2 minutes, and running another 1/4. It was pure hell. I did that first run at an 11:06 pace, and my maximum heart rate (HR) during that run reached 175 (gasp). Contrast that to today's run - I ran 7 miles with no walking at a 10:24 pace (actually a slow-ish pace for me) with a maximum HR of 145. Amazing how the foot turn over and the heart conditioning has changed in a year, eh? Last week I passed the 700 mile mark for the year and fully expect to exceed 1,000 miles run before 2011. I gave blood today, and when they took my BP (100/58), they asked, "Are you a runner?" Why yes, yes I am. :)
JOE'S FEET: Joe's feet are doing better as well. He hasn't run for 8 weeks as his left metatarsal stress fracture healed. He's gotten his left orthotic re-fashioned and expects to start running again in the next week - taking it slow and easy, so as not to damage his feet before our approaching backpacking trip.
very nice indeed!! Your progess is so inspiring. Hope o be able to do all kinds of stuff in a few months.(well several months actually) Excellent BP too.Saw a gal tday age 26 with a BP of 177/105.Almost had a stroke nmyself!!!! Really enc. her to monnitorit for 2 week and see MD if no change.It may have been a stress response today.
ReplyDeleteglad you tat is doing well.
Good to hear that Joe will be able to start running again. That's some good news for him for sure.
ReplyDeleteYour running accomplishments are amazing. You certainly are giving me some much needed motivaion!