Saturday, July 17, 2010

Hartland Heat

No, the "Hartland Heat" isn't the new name of a local sports team. This title alliteratively describes my morning 5k experience. Joe, sweet guy that he is, decided to come and support my 7th race of the year - remember, I'm aiming to run a race, of varying distances, every month in 2010 as apart of my grand return to running :) The 9:00a.m start time was rather late for a summer 5k - most try to beat the heat with an 8:00a.m. kick-off. So we began the race with a bright eastern sun that had raised the mercury to 80°, and a supplemental chewy dew point of 67° - a winning combination to zap your energy. I've never been to the quaint town of Hartland, but was impressed with what I saw. The course was a wonderfully varied route through residential streets lined with stately homes and mature trees, an old cemetery perched on a hill, a cute downtown square replete with a creek lazing through it. There were about 200 runners gutting it out, and I am again pleased to say that once we got under way, I was the one to pass people, rather than being the passed. I had no expectations for my performance, so I was pleasantly surprised that I beat my June 5k time by 7 seconds, coming in at 29:52 - an overall pace of 9:36. Up next? The Log Cabin 5k at Lapham Peak, Saturday, August 7th - anyone wanna do it with me? (walkers are welcome too)

2 comments:

  1. I'll do it next year for sure-- put me on the calendar for Lapham peak in August 2011. I know my knee wont last a 5K without stopping for rest and so this year not but next time I'll jog/walk with my new high powered knee and have a wondrful time. I am impressed with your time too!~!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might think about it....can you send me the link with the information, I have plans for the afternoon so it all depends on the time etc.

    Good job on your 5k!!! YOU R O C K

    ReplyDelete