Saturday, June 19, 2010
Speed Demon
Holy shit batman! I went for a 3 mile run this morning in my VFF's. It was hot and a bit humid, and despite that, I ran faster than I've ever run before. I thought my Garmin was malfunctioning at first when I saw my pace was at a sub-10 minute mile. About 7-8 weeks ago I'd blogged that I was suddenly running quite a bit faster than usual, and surmised my speed work was kicking in and paying off. Well, I guess it's happened again, why else would I be able to finish 3 miles in 29 minutes, which comes out to a 9:40 minute pace? This is huge, people - almost a minute per mile faster than I was running a week ago! I was also shocked to see the pace broken down mile by mile. The first mile, which included a lot of hills was at a 10:15 pace, the second mile was at a 9:36 pace, and surprisingly, the third mile,when I should have been fatiguing,I ran a 9:30 pace. Is this a fluke? Only future runs will tell! The other exciting tidbit related to running is that I crossed the 600 mile mark this week, which means by the end of the year I could reach 1,000 miles. That boggles my mind. And lastly an update on Joe - his foot is finally looking better, with reduced swelling. His second toe is still poking up, but the decreased swelling after 3 weeks would suggest he did not have a stress fracture - just the start of one. If the swelling continues to subside, he may be able to start running again in 1-2 weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well at this rate you'll be doing 5 minute miles by the end of the year!!!
ReplyDeletegreat to see that you've really worked hard to get there
We're going to have to call you speedy gonzales!! Good for you on your speed work! I'm hitting the pavement again in preperation for September's 1/2.
ReplyDelete