I have miscellaneous details to share today with no unifying theme, thus Hodge Podge.
POST-RACE REPORT: We've learned that the race course was shut down at 11a.m. - 4 hours into the event - due to the heat. This left many hopeful marathoner's stuck with no official finishing time, but race directors must put safety first and the heat was a real caution. Many posts have commented on how hilly and challenging the course was, which makes us feel even better about our performance - PR'ing on such a course in such heat is sweet victory and the icing on the cake is that there was a discrepancy with the chip timing that may work to everyone's benefit (i.e. faster times), so we're awaiting the new finishing results.
Aside from a tight left calf, I had no soreness following the race. And a follow up sports massage with Angie confirmed that my muscles were in good shape - even those gnarly IT Bands were loose and supple. No bruising for me this time! Joe fared well too ... if we forget about his foot for a second ...with minor left hip flexor tightness the day after the race. His foot is a different story. Painful walking and continued swelling led Joe back to his orthopedist, Dr. Zho. An x-ray didn't find a fracture, but x-rays often miss fractures. So he either has the start of a metatarsal stress fracture or a true fracture, and only time will tell him which it is. If the swelling decreases within the next 3-4 weeks, he will be okay. If it lasts longer than that, he probably has a stress fracture and will need another 3-4 weeks rest. Once the swelling recedes, he will see his orthotist again and have his custom orthotics tweaked. In the mean time, no running. :(
WORK: I was dropped like a hot potato by Steve Sawyer, though I suspect this is due to what seems to be his ADD nature, as well as the start of his busy summer expedition season. The clinical therapist position at work has not been opened yet either, though my resume is hot to trot and ready for submission. Two other co-worker's plan to apply for it as well. The other late breaking issue at work is that Big Brother is watching us. We began a new email encryption system to protect client health information so we are not violating HIPAA rules. If you are sending protected health information (PHI), you need to hit the encryption button. Well, this encryption system is scanning ALL emails for PHI or for profanity. We didn't know that.Yesterday I emailed my mom and a friend from work, sharing benign day-to-day news. In this email I wrote that someone was "pissed off". Apparently this is considered profanity. I sent the email - not encrypted because I wasn't sending private health info - and immediately received a message that my email was being sent to the system administrator for inappropriate material with the use of profanity. I was horrified. The email was sent to our HIPAA officer to read, and then protocol stipulates she send it to my supervisor AND the division manager, who then read through the email. Fuck. I didn't know that was happening either, but being honest, I went to my supervisor's office to share what happened, and she said she already knew - had already read my email. I wasn't in trouble with her, but still, how embarrassing. I was busted sending personal emails (which EVERYONE does) because I used the phrase pissed off. I've told all my co-worker's about this and they're scared shitless (do you like all the profanity I'm using now just because I can?). So, mom & Susan, I think I'll wait 'til I'm home to email you guys!
the race results that you are awaiting will surely be extra welcome given the conditions you ran in!!keeping my fingers crossed re Joe's foot as well
ReplyDeletenow about the e-mails---I know what you mean about HPI we have that too--and truthfully I never have time at work to do any email but like you I wouldnt do it anyhow.
Profanity be damned!! I'll just await your mail in the evenings instead of during the day. always something isnt it??? But shit, when did pissed off become profanity???I'vw probay heard it at least 3 times just this week on network TV during prime time hours!!!!