I only needed to run 4 miles today to round out my set rate of 20 miles per week, so I decided to run 2 miles in the VFF's, stop home, put my running shoes on, run the same loop and compare the two runs. Running in the VFF's felt great! It was reminiscent of childhood - cranking down the block barefoot, feeling light and free. I ran over a few small twigs and pebbles that didn't hurt much. I felt lighter and more nimble in these shoes. The second go round in my Asics running shoes went well too, but they did seem clunkier. In both shoes my first mile pace was the same at 10:17. The second mile in my Asics was 12 seconds slower than in my VFF's, so the question is was I slower in that final mile because I'd already run 3 miles, or was it the shoe???
Joe has ordered a pair of Bikila's too, though he chose quieter colors :) It's almost the 2 week mark from our Madison race and Joe's stress fracture (or start of one - we still don't know which it is). The swelling in his left foot is about the same. The next 2 weeks will offer more diagnostic information. If the swelling remains the same, then he has a stress fracture, and if it begins to subside, then he had the beginnings of one.
Love the pink VFF's and glad they lived up to their potential.
ReplyDeleteI now have three pair of negative heel shoes (the old days earth shoes) one is MBT one sketchers and one earth shoe thong snadal and they make my walking so much easier. Much less knee stress and way less tibial pain as well as my left foot feels better too.
One opair is in wide width ---an added bonus. Barefoot in the house is the best but it isnt warm enough yet