Saturday, May 2, 2009

Waking Up

HAPPY MAY!!! Everything is awake after a long winter's nap. Here's a view of the layers of our yard. You'll see tulips ready to open in the foreground, then there are the tiger lily greens, the red and chartreuse bayberry bushes, the taller honeysuckle bushes behind them, to the left - dogwood trees with their fuzzy white blossoms, and beyond them, topping out the picture, grand maples with tiny star shaped leaf buds. This is the kind of day, with a breeze, blue skies and a hint of warmth, that can instill a manic high. It's also perfect weather for a race, which could stick in the caw of someone less accepting of life as it is than Joe.

The Cheesy Half Marathon started at 7a.m. Ironically, that is when the brightness of the sun seeping through our bedroom shades awoke us. Joe doesn't dwell on disappointments or what-if's. Maybe it's the engineer in him that allows him to be practical, to focus on reality as it is and to move ahead, but whatever it's origin, it's a wonderful quality to have. It's how he approached his colitis diagnosis 5 years ago, and it's how I approached my 4 mile walk today. No negative thoughts about how walking is lame, or who I wish I could run, or how I wish I was walking even faster. Instead I drank in the beauty and hope that spring provides, and felt tremendous gratitude for my life - for Joe, for how well I'm recovering, for good friends, family, a great job, a vacation soon to come ...

1 comment:

  1. really nice blog today so evocative of all that spring promises.
    Here by the Lake lots of trees are in first leaf with that lovely delicate green --nearly pastel in its newness.
    And the sun is beginning to have that substantial feeling--not the thin pale sun of winter but real yellow sunlight moving toward the gold of summer.

    ReplyDelete