Sunday, May 10, 2009

Didn't Wanna Do It

But I'm glad I did. The heavy cloud cover sucked any motivation or desire I had for a hike today, and if I was doing the hike purely for exercise, I woulda skipped it. However, I'm doing these hikes to build up my left leg strength as part of my rehab plan to fully restore functioning, so when I backpack the Grand Tetons in August, climbing up and down 10 miles per day will be no biggy. I brought my MP3 along for good tunes to propel me forward. The plan today was to do a 5.5 mile loop. Two miles down East Avenue, one lap along the Riverwalk at Frame Park, and back the way I came. There are some nice hills in that route, as well as a lot of beauty and diversity. About 6 blocks in, the sun started to peek out, Korn had just replaced Zapp, and I was warmed up and feeling good. I passed the preliminary stages of an outdoor Carroll College graduation ceremony - black robes mixed with family members flitting about. The Riverwalk was uncharacteristically barren (everyone out for brunch for Mother's day?) of people, but full of blooming flowers, trees, & bushes. The Fox River was flowing high and fast with geese and ducks riding the current. Lilacs scented the air. I kept a strong and fast pace, and never detected a limp in my left leg. I'm getting better, week by week, month by month. Now I'm ready to settle in with a ginormous spinach salad and an hour of "Dead Like Me".


Lastly, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to my mom and all the other mother's out there!

1 comment:

  1. enjoyed the blog a lot. Where did that pix come from??? I mean what year. It seems fairly recent.
    glad your healing continues to progres. Can't wait to see an ortho an get an opinion re my knee. I refuse to be limited in hiking etc,by a knee like this and medication is not an option for me
    Therapy braces orthotics etc. something might be workable. Had a great day!!!!

    ReplyDelete