Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pseudo Resolutions

Not one for making resolutions, Joe and I did resolve to reduce our technology use. I am a self-admitted Facebook junkie, habitually reaching for my phone to check status updates, oftentimes with no real desire to do so. In recent months, since getting my Smartphone, which allowed me instant FB access, I found my mind feeling more scattered. I felt spacey and less focused at both work and home, yet unthinkingly kept punching in the unlock code on the iPhone or iPad to see what was going on. Effective 1/1, I turned my phone notifications off (my phone would ding anytime someone responded to my FB posts) and committed myself to checking FB no more than twice per day, preferably at lunch and in the early evening before Joe gets home. As a pair, Joe and I agreed to have 7:00-8:00p.m. be an iPad free time, since this is the prime hour we have together on weeknights. So far, it's working out well. I am not missing FB, I feel focused and present in the moment again, and Joe and I notice a better sense of connection in the evenings. I foresee this plan to Just Say No (to technology every minute of the day) as a new way of living. 

My other non-resolution resolution, is to save more and spend less. I should preface this by sharing that I already put the maximum amount into my 401K every year and have enough savings to live off for more than a year if need be, BUT I have not been good about adding to my Roth IRA or to building my accessible savings account. With my paychecks getting smaller year after year (thanks to a long-term salary freeze at work, Scott Walker's pension plan debacle - I have to pay ~$185 every paycheck into my pension with zero say in where the money goes - and steadily increasing health insurance premiums), I've been feeling a bit out of control with spending freely whenever I want something. Incidentally, I link that feeling of being out of control to the scattered monkey-mind brain that results from too much social media use - the two feeding off one another. For the first time in my 42 years, I created a budget. I sat down with Excel, populated a spreadsheet and voila! I saw just how much I'd have left over each month for my Roth IRA, my savings and for frivolity. Looks like I was easily blowing $300-$500 per month on "necessities", usually clothing, books and new running gear.  I'm feeling good about making no extraneous purchases in the past two weeks (though I do miss getting packages in the mail!), with the only non-essential being the completion of my Day of the Dead tattoo, which was pre-planned. 

So how about the latest on Joe? He is doing well. His left shoulder is now 15 weeks post-surgery, while his right shoulder is almost 8 months post surgery. He continues to progress in physical therapy and has been able to contribute a lot this winter with near-daily shoveling, as well as with the upper body fatiguing job of ice chopping. Joe resumed running 3 weeks ago, and is back to a normal work-out scheduled: M/W/F = gym, T/R= Aurora Sports Med for PT, Sat.= Long run.

And speaking of long runs, this is the worst winter for running that I have experienced since I started running in 2008. Frigid windchills or ice have driven me to the gym for 5 out of my last 6 long runs. I hate doing long runs on the treadmill (up to 8 miles), and hope that the weather cooperates soon. Not running outside reduces running fitness a little bit because you're not getting the same pounding on the body, ground irregularities, hills or obstacles (curbs, tree roots, etc.) that develop stronger muscles, joints, ligaments and tendons. For now that's okay, but by the first week of February, when we begin training for our April 1/2 marathon, it will not be okay. All digits crossed for better conditions ASAP!

1 comment:

  1. Very happy about Joe's status. And totallt agree re weather for outdoor walking/running this winter.
    Like your idea of a budget as I too am caught with no disposable income just now---so I am also not buying any books or exercise stuff or clothes which were my major frivolities. I may be able to save enough to have lunch out once a month or coffee twice a month---not both mind you!!!! I am looking forward to tax time though --hoping for a refund so I can put $$aside for a good vacation again this year

    ReplyDelete