I like to begin the year with a run, reinforcing my dedication to the sport that serves as a metaphor for life - never giving up, pushing forward, facing less than ideal conditions... This morning I strapped on my microspikes to navigate through 4" of newly fallen snow (covering a layer of ice), through ongoing falling snow and -12 below windchills. It was a challenging, but fun, beautiful run (pictured above).
Mindful of creating the right vibe on the first day of the year, I make sure to eat extra healthy, to have harmonious interactions with others and to reject any negative thoughts that flit through my mind. I project a sense of calm contentedness to stretch across the months, and I think about the things I have to look forward to both long-term, such as races, getaways, vacations, lunches with friends, etc., as well as in the near future. With the focus limited to January, I have many things to anticipate with pleasure:
- Getting my Dia de Los Muertos tattoo colored on 1/4
- Seeing my sister, Barb (briefly in town following the passing of her 100.5 year old grandmother)
- Going to the annual Lapham Peak candlelight ski/hike with friends on 1/11
- Celebrating Joe's 44th birthday on 1/24
- The possibility of some outdoor runs sans the obstacles of snow and ice! (a girl can dream, right?!)

Looking forward to the outdoor runs as well. I enjoyed mine today.
ReplyDeleteyes indeed, lets hear it for outdoor training and exercise!!! I also agree about hte intention of the day and how to actively start the year off on a positive note regardless of what is going on momentarily. going to the lake for sure Saturday and tomorrow will do the park loop.
ReplyDelete