Today I ran the 15th Annual Steve Cullen Healthy Heart Club 8k. I knew it would be an auspicious race when I received Bib# 303, as both 3 and 8 are my favorite numbers. My main goal was to improve on last year's time. Joe and I ran this race together last year in windy 15° weather. This year it was 30°, sunny and breezy - perfect for a 5 mile run - or shall we say auspicious?
This is not an easy course. The route begins with a downhill stampede, levels out for a half mile, and then begins a long gradual climb up Swan Blvd, slowing times and speeding heart rates. The best part of running up this hill, is running back down it. You'd think everyone can zoom when running downhill, but trust me, this is not the case. Running downhill is an art that many have not perfected. Me? I've perfected it, so I spread my wings and flew at a 7:30 pace for close to 3/4 mile, until another uphill segment led us to the Menomonee River Parkway. This is a pretty, woodsy stretch for 2+ miles, along a snowy/slushy path - a real time eater when you're aiming for a PR! We reach a turn around in the Village of Wauwatosa, literally running around a metal sculpture in the square, before backtracking to the start/finish line. The final mile rolls up and down a bit, before reaching the grueling .20 finish up a steep hill - the kind of hill that leaves you on the verge of nausea as you push hard to finish strong.
According to my Garmin, and Garmin's don't lie, this course was actually 5.15 miles. My finishing time = 49:39. Last years time = 54:39. I shaved off 5 minutes, running a 9:56 pace! This is hugely uplifting, especially given the challenging course, because it shows me that I'm still getting better :) And what about Joe? Joe ran 4 miles through our hilly neighborhood, over slick snow gouged sidewalks, staying upright the entire time. Tonight we'll continue the hilly outdoor fun with a 2-3 mile candle light hike (or perhaps, snowshoe) at Lapham Peak with friends.
GREAT JOB!!!!! So proud of your running accomplishments. Let's schedule dinner soon, I miss you guys! :)
ReplyDeletereally glad to hear you running is so much faster than you thought. SOunds like you are becoming quite the professional runner.
ReplyDeleteKudos on the times too-- you ocntinue to make new PR's each run; where will this lead----New York/ Boston marathons in the future???/