After an exhausting week and the memory of my grueling 8 mile long run two weeks ago, I had no expectations for today's niner. Deep down I thought it would go well, but I'd felt that way about the 8-miler too. What a difference it makes to run free of snow! I logged my best non-race 9 mile run yet. It was the best because it was my fastest pace at that distance (10:37 and that's with many hills included), but also because I felt strong the whole time, no leg fatigue or gasping for air. This is no doubt due to my consistent training. Here's a snap shot of my typical training week at this time:
MONDAY: 4.5 - 5 mile "easy" run, strength training legs
TUESDAY: 5 mile speed run (one week it's a tempo run, one week it's intervals at a 5k pace), TRX (total body strength work with emphasis on core), Yoga
WEDNESDAY: 3 mile recovery run in Vibram Five Finger (VFF) shoes, strength training legs
THURSDAY: Spin or 4 miles on the elliptical, core work, strength training upper body
FRIDAY: 5 mile pace run (this means running at my half marathon pace), Spin if there's time
SATURDAY: Long Run - next week it's 10 miles!
SUNDAY: REST DAY (and a little core work)
You may see that I do a lot of core work. That's been a top priority since I rehabbed my back after the 2008 herniation. A strong core is key to preventing future back problems, and is lacking in many runners (note: my herniation did not occur from running). I never want to experience back pain of the herniation nature again, so I am diligent. That said, I must share that for the first time in a loooooong time, this week I had a scary back moment. I was working my upper back in a seated row, and all of a sudden my sacrum area seized up in a little muscle spasm. I was momentarily transported to the frightened emotional state I lived in during my herniation and recovery - fear of what, if anything, more would come to pass. I walked it out, stretched well, and changed my thoughts from fear to reassurance that I am fine - maybe just a bit overworked, and way past due for a massage.
I'm a member of Massage Envy, which provides me with an hour long massage monthly. This month there is absolutely no time for one. I am busier at work than I can begin to explain. In fact, "busy" isn't a strong enough word to paint the picture. We're down staffed at the moment, I have extra cases, and many things are due at the same time. That coupled with my high personal standards and obsessive compulsive tendencies, means I am unable to cut corners as some people would. And this translates into 9-10 hour days where even a quick jaunt to the bathroom can be difficult to squeeze in. You may think my training regime, which equals about 12 hours of hard exercise per week, is tiring, but I can't imagine how my days would feel if I wasn't so physically active!
busy as you are it is foolhardy to skiop stuff like your massage. You of all people know how helpful they are to your general body health not to mention your continued mental emotional well being. Some day far int the future you wont be saying " I am glad I spent all those impissible hrs at work and skipped my massages" but more like "wish I had taken time for ME in those days"
ReplyDeleteOK ---EDITORIAL COMPLETE Seriously take really good careof yourself!!!!
Holy work out Batman! LOL, good job on taking such good care of yourself. You inspire me to keep at my training even if I feel I'm not doing well.
ReplyDelete