Saturday, August 3, 2013

Pre Dawn

From May through September, I get to log more outdoor, pre dawn miles, and they reward me with many cool experiences. The crepuscular hour is a magical time of day. I love the stillness and hopefulness that permeates the air between 4:30-6:00a.m. on these late-spring and summer runs. Here are some of my memorable highlights:

Meeting up on a city street corner with a Coyote.

Bunnies frozen into statues on the corners of lawns with the hopes that I don't see them.

A plump raccoon diving into a sewer grate just feet before crossing my path.

A skunk running down a driveway, passing inches in front of me.

A  red fox running parallel to me across the street.

Hearing the buzzing wings of a hummingbird who is nearly nose to nose with me.

Full double rainbows during a rainy run.

Color palettes in the sky rarely glimpsed by most humans.

Ducks & Geese sitting in puddles on cement pathways.

Access to the moon, sun and visible planets at the same time.

Great conversations and camaraderie with Rosanna.

Beating the heat (most of the time☺!) 

1 comment:

  1. Great!!!I feel the same way; so much going on just before dawn. About two weeks ago I saw a great blue heron just north of hte water purification plant just taking off---quite a sight. And on Thrusday on the reservoir there was a swarm of dragon and damsel flys!!!So beautiful; with their transparent wings. I also see herds of rabbits up there and occassionally a raccoon or possum will be in the tall plants just outside the track on the west edge
    I aslo appreciate the beautiful colors of sunrise before the sun is quite over the edge and watching it come over hte edge at the lakefront is really breath-taking.

    ReplyDelete