Dr. Noon recommends a 6 week course (1x/wk) of PT to strengthen hip, core and quads, which I feel indignant about because I think this is a general recommendation they always give for this problem and because I work so hard to have all of these areas strong with Aaron. I voiced how great Aaron is and that he’s in school for PT, but she thought I could benefit from a PT who specializes in running, and she has a point there. She also recommends a gait analysis prior to PT, which is something I’ve always wanted, and I figure it’s best to have one done by a professional than at a running store. So, I reckon I’ll comply with this recommendation, though I may cut PT short if it seems to duplicate what I do with Aaron. I am scheduled to see a running expert at Aurora Sports Medicine in Brookfield on 5/10.
As far as the race goes, it’s up to me. She doesn’t think I’ll damage anything by doing it, but that I may exacerbate the IT Band Syndrome. Most people who have this have pain during other activities too. She thinks the reason mine hasn’t progressed to that point is because of all the training and foam rolling I do, but the goal is to keep it from being a problem. I’ll probably hedge my bets and do the race Saturday… I was hoping for a solid do or don’t do it from her, but I should’ve known it wouldn’t be that clear cut.
I did like Dr. Noon and the clinic was super awesome – fast, courteous service ((and super close – 8 minute drive from work and home).
YOu are a rock star. So proud of you. Be gentle with yourself and have fun!!! :)
ReplyDelete